Friday, December 18, 2009

Blizzard Fever

This has nothing to do with old family photos, it's just a few thoughts.
Since early this morning (5am) the radio and TV have been in panic mode here in the Lehigh Valley. Snow Advisories, Possible state of emergency pending in all counties south of the Raritan River in NJ, Philadelphia to be covered by several feet of snow.
Come on people... it's a snow storm. It's not the first we've ever had and it won't be the last. When I was a kid I remember walking to school a few days after a blizzard and split rail fences were still completely hidden by snow... but the roads and the sidewalks were clear. Life went on.
The weather people seem to love causing panic.
The snow will be pretty though. It's just too bad it couldn't happen on Christmas eve. Oh well.
It occurs to me that most of you have no idea where I live. Too bad you couldn't have seen it when I wanted to live here... before the million dollar homes were built in the fields and woods that used to stretch for a mile, or more. I can't wait to get out of here now. The homes were all bought by people from New Jersey who treat me like I'm Mr. Ziffle (from Green Acres). They pass my house every day and manage to mumble a 'hello' only if I greet them first. I don't blame them for wanting to escape from NJ... I did too, 22 years ago but people like this are one of the top 5 reasons I left the state.
There are, however, moments, that I can look outside and remember what it used to be like here.

Ginny wanted a picture of our pond for her blog. I went out in the yard and set up just the right angle so none of the neighbors houses were shown.
The next morning we woke up to a winter wonderland so I went out and took the same shot. This looks like the place I moved to 22 years ago.
By the way, if you want to check out Ginny's blog you can find it at http://www.ginnysyard.blogspot.com/
So maybe if it does snow deep enough to completely hide a split rail fence, and our power (from Part-Time Power & Light) stays on, I'll have a chance to scan a bunch more photos to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment