Monday, November 2, 2009

Brooklyn NY

What is the Beyer connection to Brooklyn NY?
Is it that the Willmot family was from Brooklyn?
As a kid, I can recall Brooklyn being mentioned from time to time but, as a kid, I didn't pay much attention to conversations about places that meant nothing to me.
Unreliable as memories can be, it seems most of those discussion took place when Aunt Floss was around.
In addition, my Father told some stories about things he remembered seeing in Brooklyn but I don't ever recall him saying that he lived there so, I would guess, he was relating things he saw while visiting his (Willmot) Grandparents.
Below is a picture of my father on Myrtle Ave in Brooklyn NY.
This picture is a reprint but I have seen the original (but don't know where) which said "Routes 1 & 9 run through here now".


Below is Willmot's Hardware Store on Myrtle Street in Brooklyn, NY.
Yes, I know... the picture above says "Myrtle Ave" so, it would seem, whoever wrote the caption on the back of one of these photos was mistaken.
Next chance I get I will spend some time on Google Earth and see if I can find out which is right.
The caption on this photo gives me a headache... talk about confusing!
"Grandpa Willmot's Hardware Store on Myrtle St. in Brooklyn NY"
Okay, that part is fine. Then it says,
"Grandpa, Grandma, Edith, Edith Stager, the store was much wider"
Well, "the store was much wider"... I get that part. The photo is just not showing the entire width of the store. No problem.
But, how many people do you see in the photo?
I'm counting 5. Somebody is unaccounted for and I don't think there are two Edith's. I only know of one Edith... Aunt Floss' daughter and Lillian's neice... who MUCH later married Jack Stager.
It doesn't look like anyone in this picture, aside from the obvious, are anywhere old enough to be married or have children.
Oops, have I stumbled upon some kind of dark family secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment